My wife’s been using Viand for several month’s now with no major issues (there is one minor issue related to text size that I’ll have to fix before I push to the App Store).
The final piece is syncing so both of us can share the same lists on our respective iPhones. I’ve broken the implementation down into several steps.
- Sync a single Buy/Add list running on a single instance of the app with the backend database (My wife’s iPhone)
- Sync a single Buy/Add list running on two instances of the app with the backend database (My wife and my iPhones)
- Sync multiple Buy/Add lists running on multiple instances of the app for multiple accounts with the backend database (My wife and my iPhone; my mother-in-law’s iPhone)
I’ve decide to use Microsoft’s Azure for the backend because I’m familiar with the Microsoft stack, mobile services are free up to a point, and you’ve got to start somewhere.
There’s an excellent post on the Azure site on how to get started with Mobile Services so I won’t duplicate the information here. Two caveats:
- I’ll have to figure out how to sync my local data to the cloud first (The sample ToDo app starts off with an empty local database).
- I’ll have to figure out how to add the asynchronous sync to my existing Xamarin.Forms code (the ToDo sample used UITableViewController instead of Xamarin.Forms).