What should be happening behind the scenes when a Subject flatters DirObject? What questions have to be answered and in what order?
- Do I believe your flattery?
- How does your flattery affect me if I believe it? If I don’t believe it?
- How should the subject of the flattery respond? (Currently there’s no response in the Siboot verb web.)
Let’s look at the first question – Do I believe your flattery? Here are some sub-questions that come to mind that would need to be answered to answer the first question (followed by the trait or traits that I imagine being used as inputs).
- How much do I want to believe it? – Fear_Courage
- How self centered am I? – Vain_Modest
- How much do I like you? – pHated_Loved
- How much do I trust you? – pFalse_Honest aFalse_Honest (?)
- How persuasive are you? – Obnoxious_Charismatic
What should the relative priority of each of the sub-questions be? (Or should that be relative weight?)
Since nothing amazes me more than the human mind’s ability to re-program itself on the fly, sometimes to the detriment of the rest of the body’s well being, I think the first two questions should be given similar, if not equal weights:
- How much do I want to believe it? – This dress does make me look thinner!
- How self centered am I? – Of course they would want to flatter me, I’m important!
- How much do I like you? – You’re my friend, of course I believe what you say.
- How much do I trust you? – You’re my friend, but you’re also a pathological liar.
- How persuasive are you? – Well, I don’t care one way or another, I don’t like you, but you make a good point, this dress does make me look thinner!
If the flattery is believed, I think the intermediate result should be an adjustment of the DirObject’s like (pHated_Loved) for the Subject and possibly the DirObject’s trust (pFalse_Honest) for the Subject.
I’m also thinking the final result should be a reply by the DirObject, either accepting (DirObject thanks Subject comment) or rejecting (DirObject dismisses Subject comment).