Category Archives: Side Projects

Quantity Displayed vs. Quantity Saved

Sometimes when saving an item to the Buy screen the quantity saved is one less than the quantity displayed. On the Add Item screen I’m displaying the floating point slider quantity as a single digit without the decimal values using … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Reappearing List Items

While using Viand my wife told me that items she had previously bought were reappearing on the Buy list mysteriously. I finally had some time to look into it. Turns out it’s not so mysterious. When I create an item it’s … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Viand Alpha – Phase 1

I gave my wife a copy of Viand to test out in “single mode” several days ago (no sync, no sharing). She appears to like it and has added custom items to the database. I’ve noticed three minor issues that I’ll have to … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Buy Before Add

On the Add Item screen the “Save to Add list” option is selected by default. Somehow this workflow didn’t seem right. Let’s say you’re on the Add screen, searching for an item to add to your Buy list. You can’t … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Quantity Data Binding

Right now when a new item is added to one of the item lists it has a default quantity of one. On the Buy list you can increase an item’s quantity in increments of one (you might want to buy … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Populating A SQLite Database Using CSV

Up until now for item data I’ve been typing items directly into the SQLite database using DB Browser for SQLite. The process was a bit cumbersome because I didn’t enter the items in alphabetical order so to make sure I … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Trim And Capitalize

I discovered during some initial testing that if you attempted to save an item without entering in an item name the app would crash. So I added some error checking and text formatting (but not in that order). The TrimAndCapitalize … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Saving and Deleting Items

After some thought I’ve decided to add or remove items from the SQLite database as soon as they’re added to either list or removed from the Add list (the other option I entertained was replacing the entire database contents with … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Adding a SQLite Database to Android

Implementing a SQLite database on Android went a bit quicker after the iOS work. The steps involved were: Adding the SQLite.Net NuGet package to the Android project Creating an ItemSQLite.db3 link in the Android project Coding the SQLite_Android iSQLite interface … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Adding a SQLite Database to iOS

My original thoughts about using a local SQLite database to store list data were to check and see if a database existed on the device at app startup. If it didn’t exist, I’d create a new database and populate it from … Continue reading

Posted in Side Projects, Software Development | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment